Chicken Matzo Ball Soup
RECIPE FROM JOYCE JOHNSON,
Temple Beth Tikvah Sisterhood
1/2 chicken or 3 breasts (leave bone in & remove skin before cooking)
3 stalks celery - cut into pieces on angle
3 carrots - cut on angle
1 pkg. Manischewitz Matzo Ball Mix - both packages
4 T. vegetable oil
Cover chicken pieces with water in large pot. Bring to gentle boil and immediately cut back to low. Cover and cook until tender.
Place cut carrot and celery in microwave-proof bowl, covered with water and lid. Microwave 6-7 minutes or until just tender.
Make matzo balls per directions on box. Heat large pot of water (3/4 full) to boiling and drop matzo balls into water. Cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
De-bone chicken and cut into serving pieces and place in strained chicken stock. Add tender carrots, celery and matzo balls.
TIME SAVING TIPS:
1. May use rotisserie chicken instead of boiling chicken.
2. Swanson's Chicken broth may be used totally or in addition to home-made stock.
3. Most important to cover matzo balls TIGHTLY.
4. Use a gently hand in rolling matzo balls or they will become like golf balls.
5. Manischewitz makes a matzo ball soup mix. It is very salty. I prefer to use stock/broth. However it is very tasty and if making a lot of soup you may want to us half mix and half stock.
Local Advertising by PaperG