Football: Eagles to battle Clear Springs
Class 5A Clear Springs and 4A Dawson have made a name for themselves in a short period of time, and the two area powers square off in a prominent opener for the second straight year.
Clear Springs won the first-ever meeting 40-23 last year at home in League City, and Dawson is looking for payback, and a quick start, this time around at The Rig in Pearland.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Clear Springs at Dawson
• When: 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 26
• Where: The Rig in Pearland (3775 S. Main)
• What's at stake: A season-opening victory against an area powerhouse program and 2011 playoff pick
• Clear Springs players to watch: DL Dallas McClarity, WR Marcus Johnson, QB Zach Cripps, WR-LB-DE Ladarius Carpenter, WR-QB Jake Blackledge, S Damani Alexcee, S Jesse Washington, LB Cameron Doubenmier, RB Rian Thompson
• Dawson players to watch: OL Kennedy Estelle, QB Garry Kimble, WR Mike Williams, S Jarell Crenshaw, CB Haywood Jeffires, RB James White, TE Neiman Gilbert, LB Johari Davis, OL Jacob Aguirre, S Pat Coleman, LB Tre Oliver, LB David Parker
• Clear Springs: The Chargers went 8-3 overall and 6-1 in 24-5A (only district loss to state champion Pearland) last year, and a quick postseason exit in a 41-35 overtime loss to Hightower left a bad taste and is a driving force heading into 2011 ... In 2009, Clear Springs went 11-3 and all the way to 5A Division II state quarterfinals before falling to eventual state finalist Katy 38-21. Coach Clint Hartman's Chargers had playoff victories over Elkins 28-26, Pasadena Memorial 26-14 and Spring Branch Memorial 41-35 two years ago, and are looking to make it back to the elite eight and beyond this year.
• Dawson: Last year's loss to Clear Springs was part of a 0-2 start for the Eagles, who also lost to Oak Ridge 38-21 right out of the gate. But after that, Dawson won eight of 11 including postseason triumphs against Angleton 47-13 and Worthing 62-8. The Eagles closed at 8-5 after falling to Montgomery 24-20 in the third round of the 4A Division II bracket. The other losses came during 24-4A play at co-playoff qualifiers Manvel 20-14 and Friendswood 34-17, and the Eagles have both of them at home this year. Dawson defeated eventual state finalist La Marque 23-20 during league play ... Like Clear Springs, the Eagles' best season came in 2008 with a 12-3 finish that ended in the 4A-I state semifinals.
Local Advertising by PaperG