Apartment fire caused by electrical problem
Investigators with the Houston Fire Department have determined that last week's fire at the University Green Apartments was caused by an electrical problem.
The fire on Bay Area Boulevard between Space Center Boulevard and Reseda broke out on Friday, Nov. 13, around 7 p.m. and was tapped out within an hour, but it destroyed a dozen apartments and closed Bay Area Boulevard for much of the night. No one was injured.
Investigators subsequently determined the fire was an accident. According to the report:
"Electrical arcing occurred within the concealed space ceiling and floor assembly between the first and second floor of building 3 of the Apartments. The arcing ignited the wiring insulation and eventually the structural members of the ceiling and floor assembly."
See the HFD report.
See photos of the damage.
Local Advertising by PaperG