Boys soccer: Clear Lake to host Pearland
Clear Lake recorded a 3-2 boys soccer victory at Pearland during the first round of 24-5A play, and this week, the Oilers look for payback on the Falcons' home field at Clear Lake High School.
Pearland, which won a 22-5A title last season before moving back into 24-5A, needs to avoid losing twice to Clear Lake, which would love to bring out the broom and have a sweep in the books in case there's a postseason tiebreaker at the end of league play.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Pearland at Clear Lake
• When: 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 1
• Where: Clear Lake High School
• What's at stake: Playoff positioning in 24-5A
• Pearland players to watch: M Alan Hernandez, F Brandon Martin, M Brandon Williams, F-M Gabe Moreno, D Luis Jaramillo, D Jesus Macias, F Arturo Reyna, M Anthony Engler, D Fermin Sanchez, F Nemo Barajas
• Clear Lake players to watch: F-M Edgar Gonzales, M Mitch Ostrowski, D Chris Valdez, F Juan Navarro, GK Bryan Koehler, D Matthew Couch
• Pearland: Moreno, a junior, scored both Pearland goals, and fellow juniors Reyna and Barajas added assists, against Clear Lake in the first meeting ... The Oilers bring back 10 starters from last season's District 22-5A championship team, and they have used a freshman, Matt Oakes, in goal in most lineups. Oakes was out sick against Clear Lake in the first round ... Pearland has downed Clear Brook and Clear Springs, tied Brazoswood, and also lost to surprising Dickinson in the opening round ... The Oilers get another shot at Dickinson at 7 p.m. Friday, March 4, at The Rig in Pearland. Dickinson blanked Pearland 3-0 in the first encounter on Feb. 8.
• Clear Lake: The Falcons outscored Pearland 2-1 in the second half for the key district win at The Rig on Feb. 5 in a match that was postponed for one day due to ice on Feb. 4. Valdez, a junior, scored two goals against the Oilers, and another junior, Couch, tallied the other ... Clear Lake had dropped a 4-0 home decision to Brazoswood in a district opener right before playing at Pearland in the first round, and even though it was early in the 24-5A race, it was nearly a must win for the Falcons ... Clear Lake has also downed Alvin and Clear Springs, and fell to Clear Brook and Dickinson, in the first round ... According to respective team schedules, Clear Lake and Alvin are open on Friday, March 4, while the rest of the district is in action. Clear Lake will make up that game on March 25 at Alvin.
Local Advertising by PaperG