Boys basketball: Mustangs set to play Coogs
Friendswood kept it somewhat close in a 77-65 loss at state-ranked La Marque during the first round of 24-4A play, and with the Cougars on the road this time, the host Mustangs are looking for an upset that could be a huge boost towards a playoff berth.
Friendswood is in an intense battle for two postseason spots with Dawson and Manvel, and every victory becomes bigger and bigger coming down the stretch.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: La Marque at Friendswood
• When: 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 4
• Where: Friendswood High School
• What's at stake: A key 24-4A victory for teams going for playoff berths
• Friendswood players to watch: PG Nolan Harvey, W Jackson Griffon, F Kevin Wilson, G James Petri, P William Hibbs, P Dylan Darden
• La Marque players to watch: G Julien Lewis, F De'Quentin Greer, F Quevin Cams, G Darrian Provost-Johnson
• Friendswood: The Mustangs put up a fight at La Marque on Jan. 11, and even outscored the Cougars 27-24 in the final period, but by being outscored 53-38 during the opening three quarters, it was too much to overcome. Griffon was the only Friendswood player to score in double figures in that one (12), and the Mustangs know they must have more overall production to stick with the talented Cougars ... Friendswood fell to Ball 61-55 and stopped Texas City 65-36 last week. Griffon had 21 points and Harvey 13 against Texas City, and Harvey scored 18 and Wilson 14 against Ball ... After La Marque, the Mustangs have another big one at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 8, at Manvel, and then close district against Santa Fe (Feb. 11 home) and Texas City (Feb. 18 away). Friendswood is open on Feb. 15.
• La Marque: The Cougars are state-ranked No. 4 in Class 4A behind (in order) Dallas Kimble, Dallas Lincoln and district co-member Ball, according to the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches ... La Marque beat Manvel 66-41 last week after leading 15-5 after one period and 32-14 at halftime. Greer led with 15 points and Lewis added 12 in limited action ... Lewis is the team's scoring leader (27.4 average) and is followed by Greer (17.1), and Provost-Johnson and Cams (both 9.5) ... Lewis burned Friendswood with 35 points during the first round, with Greer adding 16 and Tre' Cain finishing with 11 .
Local Advertising by PaperG