Girls basketball: Clear Springs sets sights on more hardware
Clear Springs has already won a championship at the DeSoto Tournament on Dec. 4.
Then Lady Chargers placed third at the Clear Creek ISD Peggy Whitley Classic on Dec. 11.
And now they're after more hardware at next week's Alvin Lion's Club Holiday Classic.
Clear Springs in the only state-ranked team in the 16-team girls field, and they open against Chavez, which continues to search for consistency and improved play with a mixture on young and experienced players.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Clear Springs vs. Chavez
• When: Noon Tuesday, Dec. 28
• Where: Alvin Junior High School
• What's at stake: A victory in the opening round of the Alvin Lion's Club Classic and advancing to the winners' round later in the day against Dawson or South Houston
• Clear Springs players to watch: G-W Aaliyah Brown, G Brooke McCarty, G-W Courtnie Latham, G Jo Ann Lira, G Kaylin Roher, G Jo Ann Lira, F-P Jzavon Redic
• Chavez players to watch: P Dey'ana Wilson, G Chelse Smith, P Sharina Mason, G Charlesetta Taylor, G Paige Bibbs, G Chassity Williams, P Ashante Epps, P Jada Thompson
• Clear Springs: The Lady Chargers are No. 9 in Class 5A according to a recent Texas Association of Basketball Coaches poll, and are picked by many to win it all at the Alvin Classic. A victory against Chavez puts Clear Springs in a winners' pool game against Dawson or South Houston at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 28, at Alvin Junior High ... McCarty, a freshman, is the leading scorer at just under 19 per game, with the senior Brown next at 15.7, and Latham, a sophomore, at 11.1 and rising quickly ... The Lady Chargers opened 24-5A play by beating Clear Creek 71-43 and Brazoswood 54-34, and those lopsided triumphs solidified their presence as the district favorite ... A championship at the Alvin Classic would give Clear Springs even more momentum heading into the remainder of the 24-5A schedule that resumes against Alvin at 7 p.m. on Jan. 4 at home.
• Chavez: The Lady Lobos' 6-9 start included District 20-5A losses to Lamar 48-38 and Madison 49-23 ... Chavez advanced to the playoffs two seasons ago (2008-09) and closed with a 23-9 mark, but missed the postseason last year and finished 13-13 ... One of the most recent wins came against Reagan 54-50 with Smith scoring 19 and Taylor 12 ... Chavez isn't picked as a playoff team in 20-5A, where coaches say Bellaire, Westside, Madison and Westbury are the teams to beat.
Local Advertising by PaperG