Girls basketball: Pearland gets new opponent
It's not only a District 24-5A contest, but also the first-ever meeting between Clear Springs, which is in its third varsity season, and Pearland, a 22-5A member the past two years.
Clear Springs has been to the playoffs in each of its first two seasons, and Pearland made it last year with a fourth place in 22-5A, and they're both favored to be among the top four and get out of 24-5A this season — Clear Springs picked first, Pearland fourth by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Clear Springs at Pearland
• When: 1 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20
• Where: Pearland High School
• What's at stake: A 24-5A victory heading into the mandatory five-day holiday break
• Pearland players to watch: F-P Johnasha Manning, G Keara Hudnall, F Ebony Ford, F-P Jasmine Lanier, PG Kiarra Freeman, G Christy Ross
• Clear Springs players to watch: G-W Aaliyah Brown, G Brooke McCarty, G-W Courtnie Latham, G Jo Ann Lira, G Kaylin Roher, G Jo Ann Lira, F-P Jzavon Redic
• Pearland: The Lady Oilers' 12-3 start included recent wins over Fort Bend Marshall 50-37 (Manning 12 points) and Pasadena Memorial 39-27 (Hudnall 13, Manning 10) ... Pearland also stopped Langham Creek 40-38, Terry 69-37, Stratford 55-24, Cy Ridge 44-31, Chavez 57-25, Deer Park 50-37, Klein 34-33 and Lamar 36-26 during predistrict play ... Coach Donna Vacek's Lady Oilers finished fourth in 22-5A and fell to North Shore in the opening round of the playoffs last season ... Pearland competes in the Alvin Lion's Club Tournament from Dec. 28-30 and is back in district action at 7 p.m. on Jan. 4, 2011 at Clear Lake.
• Clear Springs: The No. 10 Lady Chargers are the only District 24-5A team in the TABC Class 5A state rankings ... A 12-2 beginning featured a DeSoto Tournament title and another high finish at the Clear Creek ISD Peggy Whitley Classic last week, and impressive triumphs over 5A No. 11 DeSoto 66-65 and No. 18 Dekaney 57-52 ... Clear Springs has had back-to-back second places in 24-5A in their first two varsity campaigns, and this season, the Lady Chargers are shooting for the district title, and a long stay in the postseason, and many say they have the team to do it ... Clear Springs is also set to participate in the Alvin Tournament from Dec. 28-30, and it's back to district action at 7 p.m. on Jan. 4, 2011 against visiting Alvin at Clear Springs High School.
Local Advertising by PaperG