Football: Friendswood takes on powerhouse
Even though is was two years ago, Friendswood's memories of a 56-22 loss to Austin Lake Travis in the 2008 Class 4A state semifinals is still very fresh for the Mustangs and their faithful following, and now the teams meet at the same place in the bracket and location this week with, once again, a trip to the championship game on the line.
Friendswood is coming off a 49-28 win against Montgomery, while Lake Travis edged Cedar Park 21-20 last week.
The winner goes for the Class 4A Division I title against Denton Ryan or Wylie next week at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Friendswood (13-1) vs. Austin Lake Travis (12-2)
• When: 2 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Texas A&M Kyle Field in College Station
• What's at stake: Advancing to the 4A-I state championship game against Denton Ryan or Wylie at noon on Dec. 18 at Cowboys Stadium
• Friendswood players to watch: QB Pete Maetzold, RB Jonathan Johnson, DE Travis Manning, LB Mark Brezina, WR Jordan Bolton, LB Will Fitzpatrick, WR-DB Matt Kennemer, OL Ben Compton, WR Keith Canada, DB Jordan Wood
• Lake Travis players to watch: QB Michael Brewer, LB Austin Williams, RS Cameron Wrinkle, DE Dylan Bittles, RB Colin Lagasse, RB Michael Pojman, WR Griffin Gilbert
• Friendswood: The Mustangs may feel disrespected by Lake Travis after the Cavaliers' Web site listed Montgomery as this week's probable state semifinals opponent, but Friendswood doesn't need any additional material to be fired up after falling to Lake Travis two years ago in the state semis ... The Mustangs' 2010 postseason trek includes wins against Foster 24-19, Wheatley 50-6, Humble 35-13 and Montgomery ... Maetzold's 396 passing yards, four touchdown tosses and two rushing touchdowns paced the Mustangs against Montgomery last week.
• Lake Travis: The Cavaliers have won three straight state championships and an incredible 22 consecutive playoffs games dating back to a 34-14 bidistrict loss to Hays Consolidated on Nov. 18, 2006 ... Lake Travis has gone 6-0 in the postseason over the past three seasons (18 total wins), and this year's 4-0 playoff run includes wins over Austin McCallum 28-20, Kerrville Tivy 48-42, Victoria East 59-28 and last week's one-point squeaker over District 25-4A co-member Cedar Park ... The only losses have come against Aledo 14-10 during non-district, and to Cedar Park 35-21 in the district finale, a loss the Cavs avenged last week
Local Advertising by PaperG