Girls basketball: Clear Brook opens district against Pearland
Pearland, a District 22-5A playoff qualifier last season, is back in District 24-5A and predicted to place fourth behind Clear Springs, Clear Creek and Clear Lake, and ahead of Clear Brook, Brazoswood, Dickinson and Alvin heading into what many say will be a wide-open race.
Clear Brook, which missed the playoffs last season, is looking for a quick start against Pearland, and an early boost in the 24-5A postseason scramble.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Pearland at Clear Brook
• When: 7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 14
• Where: Clear Brook High School in Friendswood
• What's at stake: Opening District 24-5A play with a victory
• Pearland players to watch: F Ebony Ford, PG-G Keara Hudnall, F-P Jasmine Lanier, F-P Johnasha Manning, PG Kiarra Freeman, G Marissa Le June, G-W Taylor Haynes
• Clear Brook players to watch: F-P Ariel Callis, G Kia Love, P Courtney Lindsey, PG Jerilyn James, PG Ryane Adams, G Chelsea Ngo, P-F Megan Conner, P-F Chassidy Harris
• Pearland: The Lady Oilers' 8-3 start included a 2-2 finish at the Terry Lady Ranger Classic last week with wins over Klein 34-33 and Lamar 36-26, and losses to Round Rock McNeil 47-25 and Fort Bend Austin 63-30 É Ford, a team captain and senior forward, leads in scoring (11.5 per game) and rebounds (6.1) in a balanced scoring attack that also features the freshman Hudnall (6.6 points per game), Lanier (5.3), Manning (5.1), Freeman (4.9), Le June (4.6) and Haynes (3.9) É Pearland hosts Alvin at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 17, in its district home opener.
• Clear Brook: The Lady Wolverines won 46-30 at Pearland in a non-district meeting last season with Callis scoring 12, and they would love to duplicate that performance on Tuesday, Dec. 14, in the 24-5A opener É Clear Brook placed fifth in 24-5A last year in back of Clear Creek, Clear Springs, Dickinson and Clear Lake in coach Blair Redmon's first season É Early-season scoring leaders are Callis (13.0 average), Lindsey (10.5) and Ngo (9.0) É The Lady Wolverines play their second district game at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 17, at Dickinson.