Boys basketball: Friendswood eyes victory
This is the fourth meeting involving Class 5A Clear Springs and 4A Friendswood, which holds a 2-1 lead in the brief-but-intense series.
Friendswood won the first-ever encounter 60-53 at Clear Springs in 2008, but the Chargers answered by beating the Mustangs 55-42 later that season at the Alvin Lions Club Classic.
Last season, Friendswood stopped visiting Clear Springs 62-48.
Both teams are picked to advance to playoffs with Friendswood predicted to finish third in District 24-4A and Clear Springs fourth in 24-5A.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Friendswood at Clear Springs
• When: 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 6
• Where: Clear Spring High School
• What's at stake: A predistrict victory against a nearby rival and Clear Springs trying to even the series at 2-2
• Friendswood players to watch: G Nolan Harvey, G Jackson Griffon, G James Petri, G Kevin Wilson, P Will Hibbs
• Clear Springs players to watch: G Teris Bourgeois, G Sam Richardson, F Jeff Beverly, G-PG Lee Kerlegan, G Josh Green
• Friendswood: The Mustangs' 2-2 start included wins against C.E. King 66-54 and Dickinson 66-51, and losses to Class 5A state-ranked Clear Creek 57-42 and Dobie 55-43 ... Harvey scored 27 in the win against C.E. King and 20 against Dickinson, and Griffon added 21 against C.E. King ... Friendswood finished second in 24-4A last season and defeated Foster 62-55 and fell to eventual state champion Yates 104-48 in the playoffs ... The Texas Association of Basketball Coaches has Friendswood third in the 24-4A preseason poll behind state-ranked Ball and La Marque, and in front of Manvel.
• Clear Springs: The Chargers recorded early-season triumphs over Spring 68-64 and Manvel 58-46, and lost to North Shore 73-50 ... Richardson scored 12, and Bourgeois and Beverly had 10 apiece against Manvel in a game where Clear Springs scored only five points in the fourth period but held on for the win ... Against Spring, the Chargers had four double-figures scorers with Bourgeois going for 16, Green 11, and Beverly and Keregan good for 10 each ... Bourgeois tallied a season-high 26 in the loss to North Shore scoring more than half of Clear Springs' total of 50 ... The Chargers placed fourth in 24-5A a year ago and were edged by eventual state champion Bush 62-58 in the first round, and they're tabbed to finish fourth this season in back of Clear Creek, Clear Brook and Brazoswood by the TABC.
Local Advertising by PaperG