Lady Falcons eye tough tilt
Before Clear Lake can go for a second straight District 24-5A championship, the Lady Falcons need to take care of business this week, and that starts with Clear Brook on Tuesday.
Clear Lake has clinched one of four 24-5A playoff berths (so has Clear Creek), but the Lady Falcons aren't about to let their guard down against Clear Brook, which is trying to stay in front in a heated fight for third place and the playoffs.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Clear Brook at Clear Lake
• When: 6:30 p.m., Tuesday
• Where: Clear Lake High School
• What's at stake: Clear Lake maintaining its outright 24-5A lead and taking another steps towards repeating as district champs; Clear Brook staying in third place and just ahead of Pearland and Dickinson
• Clear Lake players to watch: MB Kate Foley, OH Lauren Horelka, MB Kiara Wright, DS Elayni Stokes, MB Sara Strasner, S Sam Volk, OH Haley Satterwhite
• Clear Brook players to watch: MB Alicia Dittrich, OH Caiti O'Connell, L Trysta Dionne, OH Anita Permenter, S Crystal Young, S Christie Kral
• Clear Lake: The Lady Falcons swept Clear Brook 25-20, 25-16, 25-15 in the first round with Wright's nine assists leading the way in a very quick match ... Wright is by far the team leader in kills (442 in 100 games), and she was on a recent red-hot run with 22 against Clear Creek, 17 against Brazoswood, and 25 in a key five-game triumph over Pearland (all team highs) ... Foley led in kills with 10 in a sweep of Alvin in an outing where several regulars saw limited action last week ... The Lady Falcons play at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Dickinson, which is battling Clear Brook and Pearland for the final two postseason spots ... Clear Lake closes the regular season and 24-5A play hosting second-place Clear Creek at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 26 with the district crown most likely on the line.
• Clear Brook: The Lady Wolverines have a slight edge on Pearland and Dickinson for third place, and they can solidify that position by knocking off Clear Lake and winning at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Pearland ... Clear Brook also hosts Dickinson at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 26 in another important 24-5A finale, and third place and/or a playoff berth just might be in the balance ... Team kills leader Dittrich had 18 in a 25-14, 25-20, 29-27 sweep of Clear Springs last week. She had nine in the first meeting with Clear Lake ... By closing out against Clear Lake, Pearland and Dickinson, the Lady Wolverines have the toughest stretch run in the district.
Local Advertising by PaperG